Free Classics opportunity for your teachers’ CPD
We would like to offer you an amazing FREE opportunity for your teachers’ CPD.
We have partnered with Classics for All, a charity which works with state schools across the country to widen access to Classical subjects, to offer free support and training to primary schools to enable teachers to offer Classics in their school. Our aim together is to foster the expansion of Classics and to support teachers and schools in the delivery of Classical subjects and topics. To help with this goal, RGS High Wycombe has become a regional Classics hub so that we can support schools.
Why might Classics be relevant to your pupils?
Latin and Classics are changing, emerging as an engaging tool for both the support of English literacy, and for the wider delivery of the KS2 curriculum. This exploratory session for heads will use case studies and empirical evidence to demonstrate how the subject is:
- an excellent support for English grammar and literacy for students of all abilities, promoting increased and enriched vocabulary, and a deeper understanding of English grammar as taught at KS2
- an appealing path to increased cultural access for all, including EAL students
- accessible as a KS2 language option, or complementary to other MFL learning
- ideally suited to supporting cross-curricular aims for KS2 History, Maths, Art, PSHE and Science
- supported by modern courses and materials that promote accessibility to students of all abilities
What will these sessions and training cover?
- The initial exploratory session for heads / person in charge of KS2 curriculum will:
- explore in detail the benefits of including Latin and Classics in the KS2 curriculum
- present the FREE courses and materials available for the teaching of Latin and Classics at KS2
- discuss the best pathway for your school to introduce the subject
- help us to know how many people are interested in taking up this opportunity
- Subsequent sessions will train staff to be classroom-ready for the teaching of their chosen Latin and Classics course and will provide FREE course materials. The training is also free.
- Guest Speaker and trainer: Charlie Andrew is a Classics graduate teaching Latin and Classics across Key Stages 2, 3 and 4. She works with Classics for All on their Primary Outreach programme.
- Subsequent free training sessions: By arrangement with each participating school
This event will take place at: RGS High Wycombe on 20th June 2018 at lunchtime (specific time to be decided at a later date). Refreshments will be provided.
If you would like to be a part of this, or if you have any enquiries, please do get in touch by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be delighted to partner with you and help you to offer Classical subjects in your school.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Head of Classics
RGS High Wycombe