Event Reviews 2016-2017

.

• Paintball Day | 24 June 2017 Open or Close

Review to come

• Mathew Bourne's The Red Shoes | Theatre Trip | 14 June 2017 Open or Close

Review to come

• Year 7 & 8 Summer Disco | 26 May 2017 Open or Close

Review to come

• Science Show | 04 March 2017 Open or Close

Review to come

• Theatre trips Open or Close

Our most recent trip was to see Pride and Prejudice, an excellent production which everyone enjoyed.

Please consider coming along to a future show.

• Year 7 & 8 Christmas disco | 9 December 2016 Open or Close

This was another busy night with 177 boys and girls enjoying a pre-Christmas party. There was a lot of dabbing & bottle flipping going on, and the tuck shop did a roaring trade!

Thanks to all the parent helpers that came along on the night and helped us to raise £1,085. We couldn't run this event without you.

• RGS's Got Talent | 19 November 2016 Open or Close

Building on the success of last year’s event, we were once again entertained by the great variety of talents of the RGS boys. This time eleven acts performed, with four of them returning from the inaugural event. The winning act, The Revelators, was one such act; a duo consisting of year 13 boys Richard Jones & James Ringrose. In second place were newcomers, Paradigm, a band consisting of two year 7 boys, Michael Cary and Eliot Whitehouse. In third place was Mix it up, a group of four year 8 boys, two of whom had performed at the previous event. Well done to everyone that took part and many thanks to everyone that came along on the night. 5,420 votes were cast and a total of £1,477 was raised.

Special thanks to Matt Hinde who led the stage, lighting & sound team brilliantly and to Craig Underwood, our compere for the evening, who guided us through the acts with wit and charm. We couldn't have sold all those pizzas & cakes without you! We look forward to next year’s acts; we hope you are rehearsing already.

• Family Quiz Night | 8 October 2016 Open or Close

Approximately 180 parents and boys tackled nine rounds of the RGSPA's annual Fun Family Quiz on Saturday 8 October.

Subjects included History, Geography and Sport, with the most challenging round turning out to be Art & Literature (average score 5.5 out of 10 – could do better!). Almost top marks for three teams in the marathon round, though, as they correctly identified 48 out of 50 partial brand logos.

New for this year was the Common Sense round which tested Touch, Smell, Sound and Taste. Lots of correct guesses for smelling PlayDoh and feeling a Nerf bullet through a knotted sock, but noone recognised the taste of Walkers' brand new, limited edition 'sandwich inspired' crisps: Cheese, Cucumber & Salad Cream. (Currently on sale in the School Shop if you want to give them another try!)

Victors yet again (we've lost count of how many years now) were Chocolate Matters, with 132 points out of a possible 150. Second on 127 were a Y13 team, The Indistractables, who also won a prize for the highest placed student-only team. Third prize went to The Speen Machine on 125 and the prize for the best name went to The Boardinators, a team from Fraser Youens boarding house. Congratulations to the winners and to everyone for taking part in such good spirits.

The PA would like to thank our quiz master, David Hamilton (sons in Y11 & Y9), who handled his début with aplomb, and the core team of Catherine Wetherell, Philippa Marfleet, Eve Dudrey & Saroj Patel who organised the event.

A huge thank you as well to the parents who helped mark or serve on the night; to those who provided delicious homemade puddings to follow Wycombe Pizza's super-popular pizza slices; and to the World Challenge boys who acted as runners.

Despite being deliberately priced to be an inexpensive night out, the evening raised the fantastic sum of £1,500 – thank you!

Just one question remains unanswered: who is going to wrestle the trophy from Chocolate Matters next year?

• Year 8 Parents' Social Evening | 6 October 2016 Open or Close

The Year 8 social evening held in October was a very pleasant evening run by the RGSPA. Parents were greeted by  PA members, Rupa, Eve, Saroj and Vikki, offered refreshments and then were able to chat freely to other Year 8 parents, the Head of Year Mr. Zair, and Headmaster Mr.Wayne.

Half-way into the evening Mr.Wayne addressed the parents about the exciting year ahead for their children now in Year 8, followed by an informative introduction by Head of Year Mr. Zair and finally the PA chair Rupa Hindocha spoke about the benefits and achievements of the PA to the school and students.

This was another enjoyable, informal yet informative evening where parents of RGS students were given the opportunity to meet other parents. Thank you to all those who attended and to the RGSPA members who made the evening such a success.

• The BUDDY HOLLY Story | THEATRE TRIP | 4 OCTOBER 2016 Open or Close

Review to come

• Family Photo Shoot | 2 October 2016 Open or Close

Review to come

• Year 7 Parents' Social Evening | 29 September 2016 Open or Close

Review to come

• Year 7 & Year 8 Disco | 24 September 2016 Open or Close

Review to come

• Year 7 Parents' Coffee Morning | 2 September 2016 Open or Close

On Friday 2nd September 2016, the RGSPA organised and hosted the Year  7 Parent’s Coffee Morning. This was held in the Space, below the Queens’ Hall.

This long running event is to welcome the new Year 7 Parents to the Royal Grammar School. It also provides an informal opportunity to meet other Year 7 parents, in particular, those parents of children in the same form group. The PA asked for 2-3 parents of each form group to sign up for the role of form rep to liaise between the parents and arrange fun social activities during the year.

We, the RGSPA provided tea, coffee and homemade cakes for well over 100 parents and the volume of noise created in the Space indicated it was a very friendly and successful event. There were even parents spilling out into the quadrangle.

The RGS is quite unique in providing such an event and feedback from parents has been very positive at having this opportunity to meet fellow parents. Thank you to all those who attended and to the other PA members and volunteers who made this a very enjoyable, successful morning.

• Family Quiz Night | 7 Oct 2017 Open or Close

What do Ariana Grande and Matt Dawson have in common? It turns out that all 22 teams at this year’s quiz evening knew the answer to questions about them. (Namely “who headlined the One Love Manchester concert?” and “What sport did OW Matt Dawson play?”) Conversely, none of the 134 quizzers knew who shared the 1909 Nobel Prize winner for Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun (G. Marconi). Chocolate Matters were the only team to identify a sentence written in Klingon!

All the teams enjoyed trying to blow up the biggest balloon (105cm circumference was the winner by the Haven’t Got a Hope senior team). Several teams went one puff too far with explosive results!

It was great to see so many RGS boys competing, with five student teams battling against each other: three Yr. 7 teams, one Yr. 8 and one senior team with members from Yrs. 10 & 13.  Team 9+10=21 were the champion junior team (luckily there weren’t any maths questions!) with the Mid-Range Recs winning their tub of Hero’s chocolates for the best senior team by default.

Jedi Council took the wooden spoon, with The Great White Sharks taking third place. Defending champions Chocolate Matters took the runners up spot this year after a less than perfect performance on the “Identify the Quality Street” round – it turns out that chocolate really did matter.  Our new champions were the senior student team Mid-Range Recs, this time deservedly earning their chocolates as well as the coveted RGS quiz trophy.

The pizza & puddings sold well and the bar did a roaring trade. Thanks to everyone that came along, to those who donated puddings and to all those who helped on the night. We raised £1,075 which will go towards the refurbishment of the drama studio.

Close