Work Experience Round-up

During half term, three Y12 students did an Engineering placement with Martin Baker. They have written up their experience. 

Vihaan  Konganda
I very much enjoyed the Martin Baker placement and I thought it was a worthwhile experience to go for during half term as it has provided me with a broader understanding about what engineers have to do on a daily basis. In particular, despite myself not planning on gaining qualifications through apprenticeships in the future, I have a much clearer understanding about its structure now and therefore I would recommend that anyone that is considering undergoing apprenticeships in engineering should apply for a course like this.

On the first day of the course we had a tour around the site and we initially did a team building activity. Then we had a presentation by both current and former apprentices explaining their journey through the company. Afterwards we had to plan and present the upcoming task for the next day, in which we would have to design and build a structure that would eject an egg.

We spent the next day building our projects and at the end of the day they would be judged and a winner would be decided.

For me personally, the highlight was the tour around the site because I never really had an opportunity to see how engineers worked on a daily basis. Through this my career aspiration for the type of engineering I want to do has been changed as this experience has made me really think about what i think would best suit me in the future. 

Tom Chamberlain 12MW
The work experience at Martin Baker was great, an enjoyable couple of days. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures as had stickers put over the lens' of our cameras. However, there was professional photographer taking pictures of us throughout the day.

At the Martin Baker head offices on the first day, we were split into teams and given a tour as well as a demonstration of some of the things they do and also a team building exercise. This then lead into a talk from some of their current and past apprentices, before finishing the day with the introduction to the main design challenge that we would be doing the next day. 

For this challenge, we had to design and then build an ejection system for an egg and a block of aluminium (that had to be cut down by us), so that they would safely land at least 3m away. These represented the maximum and minimum weights that pilots in fighter aircraft could be. Using the limited materials given to us, we had to come up with three designs and choose one to make at ATG then following day. At ATG, the majority of the day was spent constructing and then testing our designs, before they were tested against each other in what was a fairly amusing end to the two days.  

Overall, the work experience was very interesting and enjoyable as it was quite engaging throughout the two days. I would definitely recommend it to others interested in engineering. My personal highlight was definitely the testing of our ejection systems where our eggs didn't always land safely...oops.

Work Experience at RGS

Information regarding work experience (rationale, process) is given to all students during the Careers module in Year 10. 

We encourage the placement to be arranged by the boys for the period after GCSEs in Y11.  The Careers Co-ordinator will remind boys of the process in an assembly in March/April of Year 11.  Boys are encouraged to talk to family and friends or to look online and in the local “Yellow Pages” to find suitable placements. Such placements can be for as little as one or two days or up to one week depending on the type of work and the time suggested by the employer. This should give boys a flavour of the occupation area and useful experience to use in a university or job application.

Parents/guardians should ensure that their son’s placement is safe. Company liability insurance should provide cover for accidents caused to a pupil whilst on company premises.  For insurance purposes your son would be treated as an employee. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of basic Health & Safety issues so that he does not endanger himself or others in the workplace. As part of the School’s work experience programme boys will also be covered by our insurance.

Work Experience in Toulouse, France, for Year 12 students

This is organised through Miss Munday. It takes place in December and it is an exchange programme with students from the Lycée Victor Hugo, near Toulouse.  Students from the lycée will come to High Wycombe for one week in the January of Y12 whilst they carry out work experience in and around this area. All Y11 boys are invited to apply for this. The prerequisite is that boys have achieved a grade B or above in GCSE French.

Work Experience Records

On completion of work experience, boys should summarize their placement on the report form, keeping a copy for themselves and returning one copy to the School. We also encourage boys to request a report/testimonial from employers, a copy of which should be given to the School.

All the information for Year 11 can be accessed through the RGS VLE and website. 

Close